Kharnak is a small village located in the Union Territory of Ladakh. It is around 170 km far from the main Leh town. It is situated at an elevation of about 14921 feet high. Kharnak is known for its pashmina and wool business.
|Total area||28 hectares|
|Cropped area||9 hectares|
|Irrigated area||9 hectares|
|Irrigation Water source||Stream|
- The village is situated at mountain hills with no road connectivity.
- Kharnak is in Nyoma tehsil.
- Leh is the district headquarter of Kharnak Village
- Leh is towards the north of Kharnak at a distance of 173 km.
- At the west of Kharnak Chuchot is located.
- The total area covered by Kharnak village is around 28 hectares.
- More than 30% of the total area is cropped.
- The main source of water for irrigation in Kharnak is stream.
- The population of Kharnak as per 2011 census is 194 people.
- Total number of males are 90
- Total number of females are 104
- 10% of the population is below six years of age.
- Kharnak village has a literacy rate of 57%, with male literates 66 and female literates 45.
- The effective literacy rate excluding children of 6 years is 63%.
- The total number of households in the Kharnak village is 35.
- 48% of the population are workers
- The nomads of Kharnak are famous for Pashmina and wool trade.
- For centuries, they have been in the business of Weaving saddlebags, ropes, rugs, and tents.
- It’s a remote area with freezing weather in winter and a lack of basic amenities.
- Many of these nomads have migrated to Kharnakling, which is around 200 km far from Kharnak.
Kharnak trek, also known as the Kharnak nomad trek, is famous for its high-altitude trek. The trek starts from Shang and continues up to Tsokar lake.
Trekkers visit Kharnak nomad camps during this trek to learn about their culture and life experience. People of Kharnaks can be seen grazing yaks, sheep, and goats during this trek.
Contact us if you are looking forward for Kharnak nomad trekking or for any other inquiries.
Best time to visit
May to September is a good time to visit Durbuk as the climate would be pleasant during these months.