Nubra Valley is situated in the northern part of India, towards the north of Leh. It is around 5 hours drive from the main town Leh. The nearest airport is Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport in Leh, having direct flights from major Indian cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Jammu, and Srinagar.
The quickest and easiest way to reach Nubra Valley is to arrive at Leh Airport by flight and then hire a cab from Leh to Nubra Valley. Also, you would need a permit to go to Nubra valley, which you can get from the DC office, Leh.
Tourist preferred way to reach Nubra Valley
- Arrive in Leh
- Apply for the Inner line permit at DC office Leh.
- As Nubra valley is at a very high altitude, stay in Leh for at least a night to Acclimatize.
- Hire a cab from Leh to Nubra Valley
If you are planning a trip to Nubra Valley, read this article to get all the necessary information. Also, you can contact us to know the current situation and the road conditions.
We arrange trips to Nubra Valley at a very reasonable price. View all tour packages.
A detailed guide on how to reach Nubra Valley
- There is no civil airport in the Nubra Valley area; Leh airport is around 160km away from the Nubra Valley. You have to fly to Kushok Bakula airport in Leh and then travel to Nubra Valley by road.
- Direct flights to Leh are available from major cities, including Delhi, Jammu, Mumbai, Chandigarh, and Srinagar.
- Connecting flights are available from all airports of the country.
- Once you arrive in Leh, you can reach Nubra valley by road in a Taxi.
- The nearest railway stations are Jammu Tawi and Kalka Railway Station.
- The ideal way to travel via train to this place is to take the train from your hometown and reach the Jammu Tawi or the Kalka.
- Once you reach Kalka or Jammu on a train, you can reach Leh in a bus, tempo, or shared taxi.
- On arrival to Leh, you can reach Nubra valley by road in a Taxi.
To reach Nubra Valley, you need to arrive at Leh first using one of the two given routes:
- Manali to Jispa to Leh to Nubra
- Jammu to Srinagar to Leh to Nubra
|1||Manali to Jispa||2 hr||90 km|
|2||Jispa to Leh||9 hr||336 km|
|1||Jammu to Srinagar||6 to 8 hours||260|
|2||Srinagar to Leh||8 to 12 hours||430|
Read this article to know the easiest way to reach Ladakh.
How to reach Nubra Valley from Leh?
The easiest way to reach Nubra valley from Leh is by driving your own car or hiring a taxi. The most common types of vehicle available to hire are:
- SUVs such as Innova and Xylo
- Tempo traveler
Routes to Nubra Valley
- Route 1 – Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardungla
- Route 2 – Leh to Nubra Valley via WariLa
Route 1 – Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardungla
This route is the most popular and least challenging. It takes about 5-6 hours to complete this journey through the Khardung La pass.
|Leh||KhardungLa||38 km||60 min|
|Khardungla||Khalsar||60 km||70 min|
|Khalsar||Warshi||87 km||120 min|
|Warshi||Panamik||40 km||60 min|
|Panamik||Sumur||24 km||30 min|
|Sumur||Diskit||32 km||40 min|
The road to Nubra passes through many important points of Ladakh like Khardung La, Khalsar, Panamik, Sumur, and several more. It has a lot to offer – unique landscapes and panoramic views of the stunning Himalayan peaks and valleys. Hence, it’s no doubt that a pleasant journey through this road to Nubra Valley will be an experience worth remembering for a lifetime.
Leh to Nubra Valley through this route will also give you an opportunity to go around the major tourist attractions on the way that includes the Thiksay monastery, Karu, Chang La Pass, Durbuk, Tangste, Spangmik, and so much more.
On your journey up to Nubra, there will be many things to keep in mind, which is why we have prepared a travel guide for first-time tourists to guide them up to the highest motorable road trip destination in Ladakh.
- This route to Nubra valley offers some spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and valleys of Ladakh, and you will get to know more about the culture, history, and tourism in Ladakh.
- Make an early departure from Leh to give yourself enough time to explore the place and take adequate breaks along the way. Make your first stop at Khardung La top, where you can have your breakfast or tea at the cafe there.
- Keep few copies of the permit handy to submit at the South Pullu and north Pullu Choki.
- The road from KhardungLa pass to the village is rough and bumpy, so get ready for a bouncy ride.
- While traveling from the South Pullu, take a detour to visit the Khardung Village, giving you a panoramic view of the whole valley. From there, you can also take some exciting pictures from a comfortable and safe position.
- The road will split into two at Khalsar towards Sumur, Panamik, and Warshi on your right, while the road to Diskit and Turtuk on your left. Both these roads will lead you towards Nubra Valley. But If you want to make your tour more interesting, you should first take the right turn towards Sumur. The road from Khalsar to Sumur is an eye-catching sight to watch. If you want to see more of the beautiful villages, you can start from the Samstangling Monastery.
- Once you reach the Nubra valley, you should not miss out on the natural beauty of the place surrounding the valley. The scenic beauty of this valley is enhanced by the greenery all around.
Route 2 – Leh to Nubra Valley via Warila Pass
If you like adventure trips and decide to travel to Nubra valley via Warila pass, you can travel through this route.
Leh to Nubra Valley through this route will give you an opportunity to visit some known tourist attractions that include Karu, Sakti, Khalsar, Agham, Tangyar, Wari La, and much more.
Insider travel tips
There are a few key tips you can follow to make your Nubra valley trip more pleasant. And these may also help you avoid problems along the way.
- Khardung La and Warila are at a very high altitude, so you need to acclimatize properly before starting the trip to Nubra Valley.
- Obtain the permit from the DC office in Leh a day before your trip from Leh to Nubra valley.
- Carry few copies of the permit from Leh.
- Carry an oxygen cylinder in your vehicle before starting the trip from Leh.
Leh to Nubra Valley bike trip
Use the same two routes as mentioned above for the bike trip.
Bikes available to hire to go to Nubra Valley are:
- Royal Enfield Himalaya – 411cc
- Royal Enfield Classic – 500cc
- Royal Enfield Standard – 500cc
- Royal Enfield Classic – 350cc
- Royal Enfield Electra – 350cc
- Royal Enfield Standard – 350cc
- Bajaj Avenger – 220cc
- Bajaj Vikrant – 150cc
On your journey, you will come across some beautiful villages like Sumur, Panamik, Khardung Village and many other small beautiful villages.
Travel tips for a bike trip to Nubra valley
- The weather should be good to travel on a bike. So, check the weather prediction report before traveling to Nubra Valley.
- May, June, and September are the best three months for a bike trip to Nubra Valley. During this time the valley becomes almost lush and you will get an opportunity to enjoy some stunning sceneries.
- Begin your bike trip to Nubra early.
- Plan the day’s route on Google Map a day earlier.
- Install a windshield on the bike if it already doesn’t have one.
- Check if the bike is serviced properly and the tires are in good condition.
Bus services from Leh to Nubra Valley
To reach Nubra Valley on a bus, you can choose from the following:
|Bus||Leh to Diskit||Leh to Panamik|
|Operating days||Tue, Thu, Sat||Tue|
|Time||6:00 AM||6:00 AM|
Leh to Diskit bus service – Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
To travel Leh to Diskit on a bus, you need to wake up early and go to Leh new bus stand. Board the bus before 6:am.
Leh to Panamik bus service
The next alternative to reach Nubra Valley is the bus from Leh to Panamik. This bus also travels at 6:00 am every Tuesday.
Other bus services to Nubra valley
- Leh to Skuroo
- Leh to Turtuk
- Leh to Charsa
Insider travel tips
- These buses are not very comfortable, and traveling on a bus for 8 hours would not be a pleasant experience.
- There are many places where tourists are not allowed, such as on the Leh to Panamik bus; domestic tourists can only travel up to Warshi village.
- Apply for the Inner line permit at least a day ahead of the journey to Nubra Valley.
- Get small oxygen cans available at local chemists in Leh to carry in handbags.
- Eat breakfast before starting the trip and carry some snacks and beverages with you on the bus.
To reach Nubra Valley, you need to arrive at Leh. Once you arrive in Leh, you can choose the route and vehicles given above to travel to Nubra Valley. Follow the steps mentioned in this article and keep the travel tips in mind, and you’ll be on your way to having a memorable vacation.
Please read the World health organisation’s travel advice, before travelling anywhere.